Indulge in a delectable journey with this Turtle Caramel Cake, a perfect blend of rich chocolate, crunchy pecans, and luscious caramel. This recipe transforms the classic flavors of a turtle candy into a scrumptious cake that’s sure to impress.
Starting with a base of German chocolate cake mix, this recipe simplifies the baking process while ensuring a moist and flavorful cake. You’ll add your own twist by incorporating a heavenly layer of melted caramels, combined with evaporated milk and butter, creating a gooey and irresistible caramel layer.
The cake is further enhanced with a generous sprinkle of chocolate chips and pecans, adding a delightful texture contrast. As it bakes, these elements meld together, creating a harmonious blend of flavors and textures.
Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply satisfying a sweet craving, this Turtle Caramel Cake is a crowd-pleaser. Follow these simple steps to create a dessert that’s not just a cake, but an experience of decadent pleasure.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) bag of caramels, unwrapped
- 1 1/3 cups water (or as specified by your cake mix)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (or as specified by your cake mix)
- 3 large eggs (or as specified by your cake mix)
- 1 (18 ounce) box of German chocolate cake mix
- Preheat Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). This ensures a consistent temperature throughout the baking process.
- Prepare Cake Mix: In a large mixing bowl, combine the German chocolate cake mix, water, oil, and eggs. Follow the instructions on the cake mix box for the best results. Whisk until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- First Layer of Batter: Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan. Pour half of the cake batter evenly into the pan.
- Initial Baking: Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. The cake should be partially cooked – a bit firm on the top, but not completely set.
- Cooling: After baking, remove the pan from the oven and let the cake cool slightly. This makes it easier to add the caramel layer without sinking.
- Prepare Caramel Mixture: While the cake is cooling, prepare the caramel layer. In a double boiler over medium heat, combine the caramels, evaporated milk, and melted butter. Stir constantly until the caramels are fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Be careful not to overheat as the caramel can burn easily.
- Add Caramel Layer: Pour the melted caramel mixture evenly over the partially baked cake. Use a spatula to spread the caramel gently if necessary.
- Add Pecans and Chocolate Chips: Sprinkle 1 cup of chopped pecans and the chocolate chips over the caramel layer. This adds a crunchy texture and rich flavor to the cake.
- Second Layer of Batter: Pour the remaining cake batter over the caramel, pecans, and chocolate chips. Spread the batter gently to cover the caramel layer completely.
- Final Baking: Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cooling and Serving: Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack. This step is crucial as it lets the cake set properly, especially the caramel layer.
- Serve: Once cooled, cut the cake into squares and serve. Optionally, you can garnish with more pecans or drizzle with additional caramel or chocolate sauce for an extra decadent treat.
Enjoy your delicious Turtle Caramel Cake! It’s perfect for dessert lovers who enjoy the combination of chocolate, caramel, and nuts.