Southern Fried Salmon Patties offer a delightful twist on traditional seafood cuisine. This recipe transforms simple canned salmon into a delicious, crispy treat that’s perfect for a cozy family dinner or as a unique appetizer for gatherings. The combination of finely chopped onion, cornmeal, and flour with the salmon creates a perfect texture, while the addition of mayonnaise ensures the patties stay moist and hold together beautifully. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or trying something new in the kitchen, these patties are easy to make and are sure to be a hit. Let’s dive into the process of creating these savory Southern Fried Salmon Patties.
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can of salmon
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Oil for frying (vegetable, canola, or your preference)
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Optional herbs and spices (e.g., dill, garlic powder, paprika) for added flavor
- Preparation of Salmon:
- Open the can of salmon and drain it thoroughly. Removing as much liquid as possible is key to ensuring your patties don’t become too soggy.
- Transfer the drained salmon to a mixing bowl. Using a fork, flake the salmon evenly. This helps to create a uniform texture for your patties.
- Mixing the Ingredients:
- Add the finely chopped onion to the salmon. The finer the onion is chopped, the better it will blend with the salmon.
- Incorporate the cornmeal and flour. These ingredients act as binding agents and give the patties a nice texture.
- Add the mayonnaise and the egg. The mayonnaise helps to bind the ingredients together and keeps the patties moist. The egg also helps in binding and adds to the richness.
- For additional flavor, consider adding salt, pepper, and optional herbs and spices like dill, garlic powder, or paprika. Mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
- Forming the Patties:
- With clean hands, shape the mixture into patties. You can make them about the size of an average burger or smaller, depending on your preference.
- If the mixture is too wet or sticky, you can add a little more flour or cornmeal to adjust the consistency.
- Cooking the Patties:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Choose an oil with a high smoke point for frying.
- Carefully place the patties in the hot oil. Cook them until they are browned on each side, usually about 3-4 minutes per side.
- It’s important to turn the patties only once during cooking to maintain their shape and ensure even browning.
- Once cooked, remove the patties from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot. These salmon patties are great on their own or with a side of your choice, like a fresh salad, steamed vegetables, or a dipping sauce.