Indulge in the sweet and savory world of homemade baking with this delightful Salted Caramel Banana Bread recipe. It’s a sumptuous twist on the classic banana bread, combining the rich, comforting flavors of ripe bananas with the indulgent allure of salted caramel. This recipe is perfect for those looking to add a bit of pizzazz to their baking repertoire.
Starting with a simple banana bread base, made with everyday ingredients like all-purpose flour, cinnamon, and ripe bananas, this bread is already a treat on its own. But what elevates it to a whole new level is the luxurious salted caramel glaze. This heavenly concoction, featuring brown sugar, butter, and a pinch of kosher salt, is drizzled over the warm loaf, infusing it with a perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is straightforward and rewarding. The process involves basic steps like whisking, beating, and baking, which are well within the reach of anyone. The end result is a beautifully moist and flavorful banana bread with a glistening, caramelized top that’s sure to impress. Serve it as a special treat for your family, a delightful dessert for your guests, or simply enjoy a slice with your afternoon tea. This Salted Caramel Banana Bread is not just a recipe, but a journey into the heart of home baking.
For The Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For The Glaze
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preparation: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Take a 9×5 inch baking dish and grease it thoroughly to prevent sticking.
- Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk these ingredients together to ensure they are evenly mixed. This also helps aerate the flour, making the bread lighter and fluffier.
- Creaming Sugar and Butter: In a separate, larger bowl, start by beating the brown sugar and room temperature butter. It’s crucial that the butter is at room temperature for easy mixing. Beat them together until the mixture becomes creamy. This process is essential as it helps to incorporate air and volume into your bread.
- Adding Eggs and Wet Ingredients: To the creamy sugar and butter mixture, add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next. This helps to create a uniform and smooth mixture. Follow this by adding the sour cream, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract. Beat these together until they are well combined, but be careful not to overmix.
- Combining Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. It’s important to do this slowly and mix until just combined. Overmixing can result in a dense bread.
- Baking: Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 55 to 60 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, indicating that it’s cooked through.
- Making the Glaze: While the bread is cooling, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and butter. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat, and continue cooking until the sugar is fully dissolved, which should take about 1 minute. Stir in the heavy cream, then remove the saucepan from heat. Add powdered sugar and kosher salt, and stir until the glaze is smooth.
- Finishing Touches: Let the glaze cool for about 5 minutes. Once slightly thickened, pour it over the cooled bread. This adds a delicious, sweet and salty finish to the banana bread.
- Serving: Allow the glaze to set slightly before slicing the bread. Serve and enjoy this delightful treat with a balance of sweet banana flavor and a hint of salt from the caramel glaze.
This Salted Caramel Banana Bread is a perfect blend of sweet and savory, ideal for breakfast, a snack, or even as a dessert. Enjoy it with a cup of coffee or tea!