Garlic Chicken Stir Fry is a vibrant and flavorful dish that brings together tender cubes of boneless, skinless chicken breast with an array of colorful vegetables, all coated in a rich, garlicky sauce. This recipe is perfect for anyone who loves the aromatic punch of garlic combined with the savory depth of soy sauce and the subtle sweetness of sugar. The dish includes a variety of vegetables like yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli florets, which not only add a delightful crunch but also a spectrum of nutrients.
To make this dish, you’ll start by stir-frying the vegetables in olive oil until they are just tender, setting them aside to focus on cooking the chicken to perfection. Once the chicken is cooked through and seasoned with salt and pepper, the vegetables are reintroduced to the skillet. The magic happens when you mix together soy sauce, sugar, chicken broth, sesame oil, and cornstarch to create a glossy sauce that is poured over the chicken and vegetables. A brief cook allows the sauce to thicken, beautifully coating every piece. Serve this Garlic Chicken Stir Fry over white rice for a complete, satisfying meal that’s sure to impress.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Prepare the Vegetables and Chicken:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced yellow bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli florets to the skillet. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Once the vegetables are tender, remove them from the skillet and place them in a bowl. Cover the bowl to keep the vegetables warm and set them aside.
- Cook the Chicken:
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet.
- Place the cubed chicken breast in the skillet. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink in the center and is cooked thoroughly. This should take about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine Chicken and Vegetables:
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the previously cooked vegetables back into the skillet with the chicken. Stir to combine.
- Make the Sauce:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, chicken broth, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Ensure that the mixture is well combined and the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Combine Everything:
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the skillet. Stir everything together, making sure the chicken and vegetables are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens and adheres to the chicken and vegetables.
- Serve the garlic chicken stir fry hot. You can serve it over white rice or enjoy it as is for a lower-carb option.