French Onion Soup, a classic and beloved dish, offers a comforting blend of savory flavors and velvety textures. This recipe takes a unique approach by incorporating a homemade thick white sauce and Velveeta cheese, elevating the traditional version to new heights. The soup begins with the gentle cooking of sweet yellow onions in butter, a process that unlocks their natural sweetness and imparts a rich depth of flavor. This step is crucial, as it lays the foundation for the soup’s characteristic taste.
The inclusion of chicken broth and chicken bouillon cubes in this recipe enriches the onion base with a robust and hearty chicken flavor, creating a harmonious balance between the sweetness of the onions and the savory chicken notes. The seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper is kept simple, allowing the natural flavors of the ingredients to shine through. The introduction of Velveeta cheese adds a creamy, velvety texture that sets this French Onion Soup apart. The cheese’s smooth melt complements the soup’s rich profile, adding a subtle, comforting creaminess.
Finally, the recipe’s pièce de résistance is the homemade thick white sauce. This sauce, made from butter, flour, salt, and milk, contributes a luxurious thickness to the soup, transforming it into a sumptuous and filling meal. The methodical cooking of the sauce ensures a smooth, lump-free consistency, which seamlessly blends into the soup. The soup is gently simmered to meld all the flavors and ingredients, creating a harmonious and indulgent dish. Served with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese and accompanied by warm, dark Russian bread, this French Onion Soup is not just a meal, but an experience—a delightful blend of comfort, richness, and culinary artistry.
- For the Soup:
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15-ounce) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup compressed Velveeta cheese (either cubed or shredded)
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups thick white sauce (see below for recipe)
- Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- For the White Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- Prepare the White Sauce:
- In a 1-quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons of flour, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Gradually pour in 1 1/2 cups of whole milk, a little at a time, while constantly stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens into a consistency similar to thick pudding. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the Onions:
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the sliced onions and cook over low to medium heat. Stir frequently until the onions are soft and translucent but not browned.
- Combine Soup Ingredients:
- To the onions, add the chicken broth, chicken bouillon cubes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir until well mixed and heated through.
- Add the prepared white sauce and the Velveeta cheese to the soup. Stir well.
- Simmer the Soup:
- Continue to cook over medium-low heat until the cheese melts and all the ingredients are well blended. Stir constantly to ensure the soup does not burn or stick.
- Once everything is well combined, reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. This allows the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Accompany with slices of warm dark Russian bread for a complete meal.
Enjoy your homemade French Onion Soup, rich in flavor and perfect for a comforting meal!