Looking for a refreshing and savory dish that’s perfect for any occasion? Try this Classic Pea Salad! It’s a delightful blend of sweet and tangy flavors, combined with the satisfying crunch of bacon and the creamy richness of cheese. This salad is incredibly easy to make and is a great way to add a burst of color and flavor to your meal.
To start, you’ll need a blend of sour cream and mayonnaise for the base of the dressing, mixed with a touch of granulated sugar and apple cider vinegar for a sweet and tangy kick. Season this with a bit of salt to enhance the flavors.
The star of the dish, peas, are best when used frozen and then thawed to maintain their bright green color and crisp texture. Add to this some crispy, crumbled bacon and diced red onion for a wonderful contrast in textures. Finally, cubes of cheddar cheese bring a delightful creaminess and richness to the salad.
Preparing this salad is as simple as whisking together the dressing ingredients, then gently folding in the peas, bacon, onion, and cheese. Once everything is mixed, chill the salad for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld together beautifully. If you’re feeling extra indulgent, garnish with additional crispy bacon right before serving.
This Classic Pea Salad is not just a dish; it’s a celebration of flavors and textures, perfect for picnics, potlucks, or as a refreshing side dish for your meals. Give it a try and enjoy the harmonious blend of ingredients that make this salad a beloved classic.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste as needed
- 4 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed small
- Prepare the Dressing:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.
- Add 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the mixture.
- Season the dressing with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. You can adjust this later according to your taste.
- Whisk these ingredients together until they are well combined and smooth. This creates a creamy and slightly tangy base for your salad.
- Prepare the Salad Ingredients:
- Start with 4 cups of thawed frozen peas. Ensure they are completely thawed for the best texture.
- Cook 8 slices of bacon until they are crispy. Once cooled, crumble the bacon into small pieces. Reserve some bacon crumbles for garnishing the salad later if desired.
- Dice 1/2 of a medium red onion finely. This will add a nice crunch and a mild spicy flavor to the salad.
- Cut 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese into small cubes. The cheese adds a rich and creamy texture to the salad.
- Assemble the Salad:
- Add the thawed peas, crumbled bacon, diced red onion, and cubed cheddar cheese to the bowl with the dressing.
- Gently fold these ingredients into the dressing, ensuring that they are evenly coated. Be careful not to mash the peas.
- Taste the salad and adjust the seasoning with more salt if necessary.
- Chill the Salad:
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour. This chilling time allows the flavors to meld together and the peas to absorb the dressing.
- Before serving, give the salad a gentle stir.
- Garnish with additional crispy bacon crumbles on top for an added crunch and flavor.
- Serve the pea salad as a refreshing side dish at picnics, barbecues, or as a part of a casual lunch.
Enjoy your Classic Pea Salad, a perfect blend of creamy, crunchy, and savory flavors!