Indulge in the comforting embrace of a sweet, cinnamon-kissed morning with the Cinnamon French Toast Bubble Up. This recipe is a delightful fusion of classic French toast and the homely charm of buttermilk biscuits, offering an innovative twist on a beloved breakfast staple. Designed to serve up to 12, it’s perfect for large family gatherings or a special brunch with friends.
The process is as simple as it is satisfying. Begin with buttermilk biscuits, cutting them into quarters to form the base of the dish. These pieces are then lovingly coated in a blend of white sugar and cinnamon, ensuring each bite is infused with a warm, spiced sweetness. As the biscuits bake, they rise and bubble up, creating a soft, pillowy texture that’s utterly irresistible.
To complete this culinary masterpiece, a homemade glaze of powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk is drizzled over the baked biscuits. This sweet, creamy topping melds beautifully with the cinnamon-infused biscuits, creating a dish that’s not just a treat for the taste buds but a feast for the eyes as well. Serve the Cinnamon French Toast Bubble Up fresh from the oven and watch as it becomes the centerpiece of your breakfast or brunch, leaving everyone asking for seconds.
For the French Toast
- Buttermilk Biscuits: 2 cans (Use ready-to-bake biscuits for ease.)
- White Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon: 1 teaspoon
- Skim Milk: ⅓ cup (Can substitute with any milk of your choice.)
- Pure Vanilla Extract: 2 teaspoons
- Large Eggs: 5
For the Glaze
- Pure Vanilla Extract: ½ teaspoon
- Powdered Sugar: ⅓ cup
- Skim Milk: 1 tablespoon (Adjust the quantity for desired consistency.)
Preparing the French Toast
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Prepare the Baking Pan: Lightly spray a baking pan with nonstick baking spray to prevent sticking.
- Cut the Biscuits: Open the cans of buttermilk biscuits and cut each biscuit into four equal parts. Set aside.
- Mix Sugar and Cinnamon: In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of white sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Coat the Biscuits: Transfer the sugar-cinnamon mixture into a large Ziploc bag. Add the quartered biscuits to the bag, seal it, and shake well until all biscuit pieces are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Arrange in Baking Dish: Place the coated biscuits evenly in the prepared baking pan.
- Prepare the Egg Mixture: In a separate bowl, whisk together ⅓ cup of skim milk, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 5 large eggs until well combined.
- Pour Over Biscuits: Gently pour the egg mixture over the coated biscuits in the baking dish, ensuring even distribution.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
Making the Glaze
- Mix Ingredients: In a medium bowl, add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, ⅓ cup of powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon of skim milk.
- Beat Until Smooth: Using an electric mixer, beat the glaze ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Adjust the consistency by adding a little more milk if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin.
- Drizzle Over French Toast: Once the French toast is baked and slightly cooled, drizzle the prepared glaze over the top.
- Serve the Cinnamon French Toast Bubble Up warm, ideally fresh out of the oven.
- Optionally, you can garnish with fresh berries, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a dash of extra cinnamon for added flavor and presentation.
- If you prefer a richer flavor, you can use whole milk or even a mix of milk and cream for both the egg mixture and the glaze.
- For a nutty twist, consider adding chopped pecans or walnuts to the biscuit mixture before baking.
Enjoy your homemade Cinnamon French Toast Bubble Up, a perfect dish for brunches, special occasions, or a comforting weekend breakfast!