Indulge in a symphony of flavors with our Gourmet Cheesy Onion Crisps. A perfect blend of sweet and savory, these crisps are a delightful twist on a classic snack. Thinly sliced sweet and red onions meet a harmonious blend of cheeses, all crisped to golden perfection and sprinkled with a homemade ranch seasoning. Ideal for an elegant appetizer or a cozy night in, these crisps are sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving more.
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded (or a mix of your favorite cheeses)
- 2 teaspoons homemade ranch seasoning (mix of dried parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion flakes, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika)
- Ranch or marinara sauce for dipping, and optionally a creamy blue cheese dip
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and lightly grease for easy removal of the crisps.
- Slice Onions: Peel and slice the onions into very thin rounds. A mandoline slicer can ensure even thickness. Aim for 16 rounds, using both sweet and red onions for a colorful mix.
- Cheese Piles: On each cookie sheet, arrange 8 small piles of the mixed shredded cheeses, spaced well apart.
- Assemble Crisps: Gently press an onion round onto each cheese pile. Sprinkle each with a pinch of your homemade ranch seasoning.
- Bake to Perfection: Bake in the preheated oven for 11-13 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as cooking times may vary slightly based on the thickness of your onions and the type of cheese used.
- Cool and Serve: Let the crisps cool on the baking sheet for 5-7 minutes to firm up. Transfer to a serving platter, preferably a rustic wooden board, garnished with fresh dill or parsley.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve with small bowls of your chosen dipping sauces – classic ranch, tangy marinara, or a bold creamy blue cheese dip.