Beef Stroganoff Casserole offers a delightful twist on the classic stroganoff, transforming it into a comforting, oven-baked meal. It starts with the preparation of stewing beef, which is first coated in a flavorful mixture of flour, spices, and seasonings. This step not only enhances the taste but also prepares the meat for browning. In a skillet, the beef pieces are seared to perfection, creating a rich crust that adds depth to the dish’s overall flavor.
The heart of this casserole lies in its assembly. The browned beef is combined with halved mushrooms, chopped onion, and aromatic fresh thyme, all layered in a baking dish. The addition of a low-sodium beef broth enriches the mix, ensuring that the meat cooks to tender perfection. As the casserole bakes slowly in the oven, the ingredients meld together, creating a harmonious blend of flavors and aromas that fill the kitchen, signaling a promising and hearty meal ahead.
The final touch to the Beef Stroganoff Casserole is the incorporation of cooked egg noodles and a homemade gravy mixture. This combination is stirred in towards the end of the baking process, ensuring that the noodles absorb the savory juices and the gravy thickens the sauce. The result is a creamy, flavorful, and satisfying casserole, with tender chunks of beef, soft noodles, and a rich, velvety sauce that makes this dish an irresistible comfort food. Perfect for a family dinner or a cozy gathering, this casserole is sure to be a hit at any table.
- 1½ pounds of stewing beef
- 1½ cups of halved mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- ⅔ cup of low sodium beef broth
- 8 ounces of dry egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Additional ingredients for gravy:
- Sour cream
- Gravy cube (beef flavor)
- Preheat your oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika. Mix these ingredients well and set the bowl aside.
- Prepare the Beef:
- Trim any excess fat from the stewing beef.
- Toss the beef pieces in the flour mixture until they are well coated.
- Cooking the Beef:
- In a skillet, heat the sunflower oil and butter over medium-high heat until the butter is melted.
- Add the flour-coated beef to the skillet. Cook the beef for about 3 minutes on each side or until a crust forms. Make sure the beef is evenly browned.
- Assembling in Casserole Dish:
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, combine the cooked beef, halved mushrooms, chopped onion, and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Pour the low sodium beef broth over the mixture in the dish, ensuring everything is well mixed.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Prepare the Gravy Mixture:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together some sour cream, a beef-flavored gravy cube, and cornstarch until smooth. This will be used to create a rich gravy for the casserole.
- Cook the Egg Noodles:
- Cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions, but reduce the cooking time by 2 minutes to prevent them from becoming too soft.
- Drain the noodles thoroughly after cooking.
- Final Assembly:
- Once the beef is tender, remove the casserole from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully remove and discard the thyme sprigs from the casserole.
- Stir in the partially cooked egg noodles and the prepared gravy mixture into the casserole, ensuring everything is well combined.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Garnishing and Serving:
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley over the top of the casserole for a fresh flavor and colorful presentation.
- Serve the Beef Stroganoff Casserole hot, ideally with a side of steamed vegetables or a fresh salad.
Enjoy your homemade Beef Stroganoff Casserole!