Scrambled eggs or huevos estrellados are one of the signature dishes of Madrid’s bars. They are very easy to prepare and there are usually many variations of this recipe.
What are huevos rotos?
The exact definition of huevos rotos is something like this: eggs fried in a frying pan with plenty of olive oil with the yolk left almost raw so that they break easily when served and then dip the fried potatoes, which are the main accompaniment to this dish.
In addition to fried potatoes, the fried eggs (also called “huevos estrellados”), usually have other accompaniment that varies between sausage products, some fresh protein, or even vegetables and mushrooms.
The most classic version is the huevos rotos with ham, followed by the incredibly delicious huevos rotos with chorizo.
There are also huevos rotos with chistorra, huevos rotos with gulas, huevos rotos with mushrooms, and then there are mixtures that include various ingredients: huevos rotos with mushrooms, chorizo and peppers, and the like. Isn’t it wonderful? Ingredients for making homemade huevos rotos
Usually for this dish you use traditional fried potatoes, cut into sticks, but you can also use potatoes cut into wedges, slices and there are those who use potato chips. Whatever your preference, ideally they should be fresh and slightly crispy.
If you know how to make fried eggs in a pan, you will have no problems with this recipe. Of course, you should leave the yolk quite runny. You can season them with pepper and smoked paprika.
Ham, chorizo sausage, mushrooms, etc.
You can make traditional huevos rotos with ham or chorizo, as I mentioned before.
If you use ham, use freshly cut slices.
If you go for chorizo, chistorra or other protein, fry them a little in the same oil as the eggs.
If you include mushrooms or peppers, sauté them quickly just before serving the dish.
Or you can be creative, mix ingredients, give it a personal touch. Don’t limit yourself to what the recipes say, including this one 😀.
As you’ll see, the ingredients in deviled eggs are all high in calories, so we’re talking about a pretty potent dish, ideal for people who do a lot of physical activity, who are very hungry and don’t mind at all, or who are simply carefree with a privileged metabolism.
Preparing scrambled eggs is extremely simple. And the variations are limited only by your imagination.
Let’s get to the recipe!
Scrambled eggs with chorizo or ham recipe
It is important to clarify that, if you do not want to prepare them with chorizo but with ham, for example, simply substitute one ingredient for the other and follow the other steps of the preparation.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 chorizo sausage of your choice
- A large quantity of olive oil
- A pinch of paprika powder
- A pinch of salt
- Remove the skin and cut the potatoes in the way fries are traditionally made. Although you can also make them in slightly thick wheels for a change.
- Fry the potatoes in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes with plenty of oil.
- Meanwhile, cook your chorizo in another pan with a drop of oil. Chop it into thick slices to make it cook faster.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the heat and drain the oil well. Put them on a plate with absorbent paper and add salt to taste.
- In another pan, with plenty of olive oil (you can use the same oil as the potatoes), fry the eggs taking care that the yolk does not overcook, the idea is that it remains liquid inside. Remove when they are ready.
- Now simply serve the potatoes first on a plate, the 2 eggs on top and the chorizo chopped into rounds.
- Add paprika powder and salt to taste.